White House

Vote to Restore Integrity to the White House

RomneyObamaCaricatures

Nothing is more essential to the establishment of manners in a State than that all persons employed in places of power and trust be men of unexceptionable characters. The public cannot be too curious concerning the character of public men. ~ Samuel Adams

And so it comes down to this. As you read this, Americans from all walks of life are entering voting booths across the nation to cast their vote for the man who will serve as our next president; less than a day before we determine the trajectory of our national destiny for generations to come. Will we re-elect Obama, and place that final nail in the coffin of the great experiment in self-government that began 236 years ago when Thomas Jefferson enshrined in the Declaration of Independence the concept that we are each sovereign beings, children of the God who created us, endowed with certain unalienable rights by the very virtue of our birth? A man who believes we are merely tiny cogs in the great gears of the collectivist state? Or will we correct that grievous error, and elect a man who understands that the highest power we are accountable to is not the federal government, but our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

Joe Biden is apparently running for president in 2016

The 2012 presidential campaign isn’t even over yet, but that hasn’t stopped Vice President Joe Biden from putting together a campaign message for 2016. During a campaign stop yesterday in Florida, Biden talked Republican sibling of a supporter over the phone and made his pitch:

While he has previously hinted at a potential run, Biden smiled as he mentioned–perhaps jokingly–a White House run on the phone with a voter during a campaign stop at a Sarasota, Florida restaurant.
[…]
As he mingled with fans and supporters, one woman handed the vice president a cell phone at the event, urging Biden to speak with her brother, a Republican.

Biden took the phone, immediately saying: “I’ll tell ya what, you may be a Republican but I love ya.”

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses inside the restaurant, the former 36-year senator quickly got into a serious discussion with the relative about the health care law. A man standing nearby said, “I think he met his match,” referring to the detailed conversation.

After nearly two minutes on the call, Biden moved to end the conversation. “Look, I’m not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you.”

“And after it’s all over, when your insurance rates go down,” he continued, “then you’ll vote for me in 2016. I’ll talk to you later.”

Did President Obama watch the Benghazi attack in real-time?

Libya protests

On Friday, Fox News reported that nearby CIA operatives were told to “stand down” during the terrorist attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, despite their pleas to intervene. They eventually ignored the order and proceeded to evacuate personnel from the consulate, but by that time four Americans had been killed.

As if this was not unconscionable enough, reports are now surfacing that President Barack Obama watched the assault on the consulate in real-time and did nothing — absolutely nothing — to stop it:

Retired Army Lt. Col. Tony Shaffer, who served as a senior operations officer for the Defense Intelligence Agency in Afghanistan in 2003, told Fox News that the attack unfolded during the “middle of the business day in Washington, so everybody at the White House, CIA, Pentagon, everybody was watching this go down. According to my sources [Obama] was one of those in the White House Situation Room in real-time watching this.”

CIA told to “stand down” during Benghazi attack

Libya protests

More details about the terrorist attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya are coming out, and they’re nothing short of outrageous. On Friday, Fox News reported the latest wrinkle on Friday, noting that requests from CIA operators in the area to assist the consulate during the attack were denied:

Former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods was part of a small team who was at the CIA annex about a mile from the U.S. consulate where Ambassador Chris Stevens and his team came under attack. When he and others heard the shots fired, they informed their higher-ups at the annex to tell them what they were hearing and requested permission to go to the consulate and help out. They were told to “stand down,” according to sources familiar with the exchange. Soon after, they were again told to “stand down.”

Woods and at least two others ignored those orders and made their way to the consulate which at that point was on fire. Shots were exchanged. The rescue team from the CIA annex evacuated those who remained at the consulate and Sean Smith, who had been killed in the initial attack. They could not find the ambassador and returned to the CIA annex at about midnight.

White House knew of militant involvement in Benghazi within two hours

Libya protests

“There is no more serious issue in a presidential campaign than trust.” - Barack Obama

While the Obama Administration has been insistent that the details surrounding the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya were hazy and unclear for days, Reuters reported last night that the White House knew that militants claimed responsibility within two hours of the incident:

The emails, obtained by Reuters from government sources not connected with U.S. spy agencies or the State Department and who requested anonymity, specifically mention that the Libyan group called Ansar al-Sharia had asserted responsibility for the attacks.

The brief emails also show how U.S. diplomats described the attack, even as it was still under way, to Washington.
[…]
The records obtained by Reuters consist of three emails dispatched by the State Department’s Operations Center to multiple government offices, including addresses at the White House, Pentagon, intelligence community and FBI, on the afternoon of September 11.

October surprise?: U.S. to negotiate with Iran over nuclear program

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

With President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney set to square off in a debate on foreign policy tomorrow evening, The New York Times reports that the administration may begin negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program:

The United States and Iran have agreed in principle for the first time to one-on-one negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program, according to Obama administration officials, setting the stage for what could be a last-ditch diplomatic effort to avert a military strike on Iran.
[…]
News of the agreement — a result of intense, secret exchanges between American and Iranian officials that date almost to the beginning of President Obama’s term — comes at a critical moment in the presidential contest, just two weeks before Election Day and the weekend before the final debate, which is to focus on national security and foreign policy.

It has the potential to help Mr. Obama make the case that he is nearing a diplomatic breakthrough in the decade-long effort by the world’s major powers to curb Tehran’s nuclear ambitions, but it could pose a risk if Iran is seen as using the prospect of the direct talks to buy time.

Clinton: Mixed message on Benghazi due to “fog of war”

On Monday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made a surprising move by accepting responsibility for lack of security at the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, and by extension the deaths of four Americans who killed in the terrorist attack last month. As explained yesterday, Clinton has essentially fallen on her sword for President Barack Obama by doing so.

But based on other comments she has made, Clinton isn’t accepting responsibility for the reason for the attack, which was the video, “Innocence of Muslims,” pushed by some White House and Obama Administration officials in its aftermath:

In an interview with Margaret Brennan on CBS, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton refused to say where U.N. ambassador Susan Rice got her talking points in response to the attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya.
[…]
“Who briefed Ambassador Rice that day? Did you sign off on that briefing and those speaking points?” asked Brennan.

“You would have to ask her,” Clinton replied, admitting that she did not speak to Rice before her media appearances.

“Everybody had the same information,” Clinton insisted. “I mean, I’m – I have to say I know there’s been a lot of attention paid to who said what when, but I think what happened is more important. We were attacked, and four brave Americans were killed.”

“I think it’s part of what the fog of war causes,” Clinton added.

Hillary Clinton falls on her sword for Barack Obama

As the debate continues on over the terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, which took the lives of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton accepted responsibility last night in an interview with CNN for the security failures that led up to the incident:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the bucks stops with her when it comes to who is blame for a deadly assault on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi.

“I take responsibility” for what happened on September 11, Clinton said in an interview with CNN’s Elise Labott soon after arriving in Lima, Peru for a visit. The interview, one of a series given to U.S. television networks Monday night, were the first she has given about the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi.

Clinton insisted President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are not involved in security decisions, Clinton said.

“I want to avoid some kind of political gotcha,” she added, noting that it is close to the election.
[…]
Clinton also sought to downplay the criticism that administration officials continued to say the attack was a spontaneous product of a protest over an anti-Muslim film, a theory that has since been discarded.

In the wake of an attack, there is always “confusion,” Clinton said. But the information has since changed, Clinton said in the interview.

This one had to hurt. The tension that developed between Clinton and Obama during the 2008 Democratic primary was, well, evident. It was obvious that Obama offered her a role in his administration to keep her close, rather than to appease her.

The White House Disinformation Campaign on Libya

As Jason and Doug noted, the White House has been heavily focused on Big Bird while avoiding serious problems our country faces abroad. This time line video, put out this week by the Heritage Foundation, is damning evidence of an administration which tried to lie and misdirect the American people about the savage attacks on our Libyan embassy.

It is incredible how far away from the news cycle this is.

Heritage Foundation: “The White House Disinformation Campaign on Libya”

Libya

In the days after the attack on the United States consulate in Benghazi, Libya, which resulted in the death of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and other security personnel, the White House and administration officials vigorously claimed that the incident was related to the anti-Islamic video, “Innocence of Muslims.”

But before too long that narrative had crumbled as information came forward that the incident was indeed a terrorist attack. Even more concerning than the disinformation campaign waged by the White House was the news that the consulate had been targeted in the past and requested more security just days before the attack.

The Heritage Foundation has put out a new video going through the disinformation campaign waged in the days after the attack, showing some news reel highlights of how the narrative changed from what was initially a cover-up to the truth finally coming out:


The views and opinions expressed by individual authors are not necessarily those of other authors, advertisers, developers or editors at United Liberty.