Late last month, Public Policy Polling showed Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) with a slight edge in a very early survey of possible GOP presidential candidates among New Hampshire Republican primary voters. New Hampshire has traditionally been an early primary state and is already seeing some activity.
Likewise, Iowa also getting some early attention, and a new poll out of the Hawkeye State shows Paul with a 19-point lead over his closest competition, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL):
The poll, provided to The Daily Caller, surveyed 804 registered Iowa voters using phone interviews. 328 usually participated in the Republican presidential caucuses, and 247 said they usually participated in the Democratic caucuses. The poll was conducted on April 18 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.9 percentage points.
Among voters who said they usually took part in the Republican presidential caucuses, 39 percent said they would vote for Paul if the caucuses were held today. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio was in a distant second place with 20 percent. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was at 11 percent, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush was at 10 percent, and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal was tied with former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice at three percent.
As was the case in New Hampshire, independents are what is propelling Paul to the top in Iowa. The junior Senator from Kentucky takes 67% of independents. Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ) takes the other 33%. Paul bests Rubio among self-identified Republicans by a 6-point margin, 30/24.