Ex-White House spokesman botches Benghazi: “Dude, this was like two years ago”

Tommy Vietor

Former National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor doesn’t want to be asked tough questions over the false narrative the White House and the Obama administration presented to the American people about the 2012 Benghazi terrorist attack.

Vietor appeared on Fox News’ Special Report with Bret Baier on Thursday to discuss the edits made to the controversial talking points on the Benghazi attack. Those talking points shaped the initial narrative that the attack wasn’t an attack, but a spontaneous protect that spiraled out of control.

“According to the emails and the timelines, the CIA circulates new talking points after they’ve removed the mention of al-Qaeda. And then at 6:21, the White House, you, add a line about the administration warning of September 10 of social media reports calling for demonstrations. True?” Baier asked.

“Uh, I believe so,” Vietor replied.

Baier followed up, asking the former White House official if he personally changed the talking to points to get away hide the involvement from Islamic militants.

“Maybe,” Vietor said, “I don’t really remember.”

“You don’t remember?” Baier asked.

“Dude, this was like two years ago,” Vietor said with a smirk on his face. “We’re talking about the most mundane process…”

“Dude,” Baier shot back, “it is the thing that everybody’s talking about.”

Vietor smarmily defended the “mundane process” of editing talking points, telling Baier, “That’s what bureaucrats do all day long. Your producers edit scripts multiple times.”

Though he left the White House last year, Vietor’s responses to Baier’s questions resemble the lack of seriousness with which most other current and former White House and administration officials’ respond.

It sounds a lot like former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s “what difference, at this point, does it make?” response to questions about the administration’s false narrative about the anti-Islam YouTube video or White House Press Secretary Jay Carney’s excuse that emails released this week were “not about Benghazi.”

The White House and administration insist that they didn’t intentionally try to mislead the American people about Benghazi, though there plenty of correspondence between officials citing Islamic militant involvement to suggest otherwise. But officials done nothing — absolutely nothing — to show any hint of transparency.

The responses to the most recent revelations have only served to widen the credibility gap the administration has and only serve to further the preception that its trying to cover up a cover up.


The views and opinions expressed by individual authors are not necessarily those of other authors, advertisers, developers or editors at United Liberty.