State Department email blamed Islamic militants for Benghazi hours after attack

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) dropped a bombshell during yesterday’s House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing by entering another new post-Benghazi email into the record.

The email, references discussions between the State Department and Libyan ambassador to the United States. The email was previously referenced by Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), but Chaffetz read it for the committee and subsequently entered it into the record.

“The subject line is ‘Libya update’ from Beth Jones. The date is September 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm. There’s a paragraph in here that I think is pertinent to our discussions today,” said Chaffetz. “It’s referencing the Libyan ambassador: ‘When he said his government suspected that former Qaddafi regime elements carried out the attacks, I told [the Libyan ambassador] that the group that conducted the attacks — Ansar al-Sharia — is affiliated with Islamic extremists.’”

Chaffetz noted that that the email, which his office has made public, was sent to then-State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland, Under Secretary for Management Patrick Kennedy, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s chief of staff, Cheryl Mills.

Ansar al-Sharia is an Islamic militant organization with ties to al-Qaeda. The group claimed credit for the attack on the American diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, which killed four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.

The email exchange took place the day after attack, days before then-U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice appeared on Sunday talk shows and parrotted talking points that blamed an anti-Islam YouTube video.

H/T: America Rising


The views and opinions expressed by individual authors are not necessarily those of other authors, advertisers, developers or editors at United Liberty.