CIA suspends employee who refused to sign Benghazi non-disclosure agreement

CIA

A month after CNN reported that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) had gone to great lengths to keep who were working on the ground the night of the Benghazi terrorist attack from talking to the media, agency director John Brennan reportedly cleared survivors to be able to talk to lawmakers and congressional investigators.

But one CIA employee who has refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) on Benghazi has been suspended by the agency, according to Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA) via the Washington Free Beacon:

A CIA employee who refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement barring him from discussing the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, has been suspended as a result and forced to hire legal counsel, according to a top House lawmaker.

Rep. Frank Wolf (R., Va.) revealed at an event on Monday that his office was anonymously informed about the CIA employee, who is purportedly facing an internal backlash after refusing to sign a legal document barring him from publicly or privately discussing events surrounding the Benghazi attack.
[…]
“My office received a call from a man saying that he knew a CIA employee who has retained legal counsel because he has refused to sign an additional NDA regarding the Sept. 11, 2012, events in Benghazi,” Wolf said in Sept. 9 remarks at a panel discussion hosted by Judicial Watch.

“I called the law firm and spoke with CIA employee’s attorney who confirmed that her client is having an issue with the agency and the firm is trying to address it,” Wolf said. “Based on my past experiences with the CIA, which is headquartered in my congressional district, I am not at all confident that these efforts will be successful.”

The NDA agreements are meant to instill fear in employees and stop them from speaking “to the media or Congress,” Wolf said on Monday.

The CIA, of course, denies the allegation, claiming that they have not forced anyone to sign an NDA or subjected them to lie-detector tests, which is what CNN reported last month.

Whistleblowers who have publicly come forward worked for the State Department. Gregory Hicks, who served as a diplomat at the American embassy in Libya and was in the country the night of the Benghazi attack, has said that his career has entered a state of limbo as a result of speaking out.

The Obama Administration continues to face criticism from House Republicans over its handling of Benghazi, both before and after. A recent report from the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee released earlier this week challenged the official State Department Accountability Review Board report, alleging that there were discrepancies and conflicts of interest that make it unreliable.

 


The views and opinions expressed by individual authors are not necessarily those of other authors, advertisers, developers or editors at United Liberty.